Thursday, July 26, 2012

PIP: Avenger Strike Fighter

Quick update, I started painting my converted Avenger with my brand new Army Painter Warpaints (which are excellent, by the way).  I'll have more photos up as I continue to paint the model and will have a review of the paints as soon as I'm able.

Please forgive the poor photo quality, I haven't had time to set up my old photo set up with the nice camera, lights and backdrop.

Anyway, enjoy your games, folks,

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Avenger Strike Fighter


After choosing to interpret the typed musings from one of Ron's posts over at FTW as a challenge, I came up with what follows.

Yup.  That's an Avenger Strike Fighter, a new model from Forge World made from a heavily kit-bashed Valkyrie kit from GW.  For now, I'll share the completed piece and show some of the WIP shots in a later post, probably before I post the completely painted model.

In order to keep the model mostly Games Workshop plastics, I'd planned on using a Punisher Cannon from the Demolisher kit, but alas, I ended up giving that particular bit to a friend who actually used the bit.  I'm quite proud of the scratch built cannon, though.  It looks beefier, just like the real deal.

Lastly, an above shot.  I plan to start painting this guy next week, as this up-coming week, I'll be busy with work.  Until then, enjoy the model as it is now and maybe this will inspire you to kit-bash your own!  With any luck the rules coming out from Forge World at the end of the month will be worth having spent all of this time and aggravation making this model.

All the best, folks,

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tentacle Maker from Green Stuff Industries

I've spent enough time going on about the podcast that I figured it's time for a hobby update.  What better way to get back into the swing of things than spending money?

I recently purchased the SAW-20 Tentacle Maker from Green Stuff Industries, and I'm remarkably impressed.  I had been putting off the purchase because of the $16 price tag, but now that I have it, it's earned a permanent spot in my toolbox.  A full review will have to wait until I can take more photos but for now, here's a photo of a Death Korps engineer with a heavy flamer. Rather than using the resin hose section that came with the kit, I opted to try out my new toy.

Once you get the hang of using it, which is a bit tricky starting out, the results are excellent!

One of the things that concerned me was the resultant tentacle's ability to take paint, specifically primer.  Given that I use The Army Painter colored primers that tend to be more than a little heavy on the pigment, this is a rather large concern.  Here's the same model all primed and ready for paint.

As you can see, the individual ridges on the green stuff hose are neatly preserved through the primer.  This bad boy will take paint like a champ!

Over all, this is definitely worth picking up if you have need of ribbed cabling and are tired of using guitar strings.  Even if you don't, use the tool long enough, and you'll find a need for it!

Happy hobbying, folks,

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Good news, everyone!

The Table Top Generals podcast is up on iTunes and available for download at your convienence.  I'll be adding the remaining episodes sometime throughout the course of the week and will have episode 6 up sometime shortly after that.

Thank you all for your support and patience. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Podcast is on iTunes! Sort of...

The Table Top Generals podcast is up on iTunes, but thus far it looks as though it's still in the moderation queue.  I'll keep on top of this issue and make updates as things gel correctly.

All the best,

Friday, July 6, 2012

Hydra Turret Template WIP

Finally, a hobby update!

After seeing some of the "Aegis pattern" Hydra Flak Tanks out there, I decided to try my hand at making a template for a proppa scratch built Hydra template.  After some faffing about in Google Sketchup 7, Pepakura Designer 3, and about an hour of printing, resizing and printing again, I've come up with this.

You can click the image above to open it in a new tab.  Printing at 100% scale should make the top part (the irregular pentagon with the circle cut out) about 40mm wide.  Because of the way Pepakura Designer works, it's very difficult to get the pieces aligned neatly with the straight edges, so I pretty much left them as they were when the model was "unfolded."  The next step is creating a template and guide for the Hydra Autocannons.  The platform that joins the turret to the chimera hull will have to wait until I get my hands on a chimera kit so I can take measurements.

This template is very, very Work In Progress, so bear with me as I make improvements.  As always, if you have any questions, comments or concerns, and if you try out this template, please let me know.