Years ago, my mother bought a grab-bag of Warhammer 40,000 figurines for Christmas. It was filled with a bunch of older models, stuff like all-metal Space Marine Devastators, really old school Noise Marines, a Vindicare Assassin, a Metal Space Marine Terminator Captain and, as this post's title would suggest, Grand Master Azrael of the Dark Angels. I've been painting up some of the models in an effort to not go f*#$@*! bonkers repainting my Elysians. That reminds me, I still have to post photos of the Elysians I've managed to finish so far.
A buddy of mine, after getting tired of his endless stream of victories with his Tyranids decided to start Dark Angels, running them out of the Space Marine Codex. Here are some pictures of the Grand Master I painted up for him.
"Death to the Fallen!"
Grand Master Azrael was a fun model to do. He presented some unique challenges in his construction, him being metal and all. The model as it comes in the blister has a large banner pole on the backpack. As you can see, I clipped that off and pinned the ornament to the backpack. Now he should have an easier time fitting into a carry case! His sword was also broken, so I had to pin that to the hilt and fill in the little gap with green stuff. There's also a layer of green stuff in the joint at his left elbow, just to secure the hold.
As always, I primed Azrael with my trusty Krylon Grey Primer. I employed my usual "Foundation/Wash" painting method with the odd added highlight. His armor is done in Orkhide Shade, his robes and other white parts are Dheneb Stone washed with Devlan Mud. Reds are Mechrite Red and the orange on his sword is Macharius Solar Orange. I'm not sure Snot Green is the best color to highlight Orkhide Shade, but it works well enough.
I tried out the crackling lightning effect on Azrael's sword again, and I'm satisfied with the results. I probably could have gotten a little more subtle about the lightning, though.
I managed to finish up the Furioso Dreadnought I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. Without further ado, here are the pictures of the completed model.
And there's the dreadnought in all of its red and magnetized glory. I've still got a few bits to assemble, magnetize and paint up. In addition to what's depicted here, I also finished up the Magna Grapple.
The method I used to paint this model is detailed in the previous post. Throughout the finishing steps, I ran into trouble mixing Krylon Gloss Coat and Testors Dullcote. I'm not sure whether it was just me accidentally rubbing paint off of the corners, touching the model while it was still wet with varnish and peeling away a bit of paint, or the mix, but what I did notice was that paint was coming off the corners.
I had the same issue during a previous commission, and I'm certain I didn't touch any of the affected areas on that particular model. After correcting the issues, I switched my gloss finish to Testors Glosscote, and haven't had any trouble with any of the model's I've finished up since.
As always, questions and comments more than welcome,
Hello again. Continuing on from the last post, I've got the Librarian all painted up and ready for show. I'll have to get the Honor Guard back from my friend so I can photograph them all together.
My methodology for Senior Librarian is the same as Herr Librarian. Grey primer, Mordian Blue with Ultramarines Blue highlights. I tried doing the "crackling lightning" technique on his Force Weapon, and I think it turned out quite well for a first attempt. I think it's about time for a new brush, though.
A little bit of custom green stuff work went into this model, mostly arm reposings and the book on his left shoulder pad. Other than that, he's pretty much an out-of-the-box model.
In addition to the Librarian, I've been commissioned to build and paint up a Blood Angels Furioso Dreadnought. The sprue is quite impressive with all the bits it includes. From what I can tell, the parts look as though they're designed to be interchangeable and fit very tightly. This will be a small issue once I have all the disparate parts painted and lacquered, as some paint may rub off with use.
Typically, when I do anything Blood Angels-related, I use The Army Painter's "Dragon Red" primer. This time around, because the only red parts are the plates of armor, I primed the model with Krylon Grey Primer. I then laid down a coat of Mechrite Red then Blood Red over that to bring it up to the red color on the model. The nooks and crannies were washed with Badab Black. The gold around the sarcophagus got done with a base coat of Dheneb Stone and a few layers of Shining Gold on top of it, washed down with Devlan Mud.
The only custom work I did on the model is drilling a few holes for magnets, and the only one on this part of the model is up top so I can switch out a smoke launcher for the fancy grappling hook weapon Furioso Dreadnoughts have access to. I also free-handed a Blood Chalice on the right greave.
That's it for today, folks. I'll have more updates on the Furioso as the weekend rolls on. Also, I'm headed down to Media, PA to check out the Grey Knights black box from GW. I'll be sure to take some pictures.
A friend of mine has commissioned me to build and paint him a Blood Angels Honour Guard to escort his Librarian (also to be built and painted by yours, truly) into battle.
This is the first completed model. Gold is a pain to paint over my Krylon Primer. A coat and a half of Dheneb Stone and two coats of Shining Gold is not good times, nor a fantastic way to paint a model quickly. The portion of time the model takes to complete is only lengthened by amount of Gryphonne Sepia and other washes applied to the model. The results are well worth it. Because the model's done in a metallic, I didn't bother with a highlight. And, of course, a coat of Krylon Gloss, and then Testor's Dullcote to finish 'er up. I don't know how my friend wants to base these guys, so I just did them in Calthan Brown.