Friday, March 25, 2011

Grand Master Azrael

Years ago, my mother bought a grab-bag of Warhammer 40,000 figurines for Christmas. It was filled with a bunch of older models, stuff like all-metal Space Marine Devastators, really old school Noise Marines, a Vindicare Assassin, a Metal Space Marine Terminator Captain and, as this post's title would suggest, Grand Master Azrael of the Dark Angels. I've been painting up some of the models in an effort to not go f*#$@*! bonkers repainting my Elysians. That reminds me, I still have to post photos of the Elysians I've managed to finish so far.

A buddy of mine, after getting tired of his endless stream of victories with his Tyranids decided to start Dark Angels, running them out of the Space Marine Codex. Here are some pictures of the Grand Master I painted up for him.


"Death to the Fallen!"





Grand Master Azrael was a fun model to do. He presented some unique challenges in his construction, him being metal and all. The model as it comes in the blister has a large banner pole on the backpack. As you can see, I clipped that off and pinned the ornament to the backpack. Now he should have an easier time fitting into a carry case! His sword was also broken, so I had to pin that to the hilt and fill in the little gap with green stuff. There's also a layer of green stuff in the joint at his left elbow, just to secure the hold.

As always, I primed Azrael with my trusty Krylon Grey Primer. I employed my usual "Foundation/Wash" painting method with the odd added highlight. His armor is done in Orkhide Shade, his robes and other white parts are Dheneb Stone washed with Devlan Mud. Reds are Mechrite Red and the orange on his sword is Macharius Solar Orange. I'm not sure Snot Green is the best color to highlight Orkhide Shade, but it works well enough.

I tried out the crackling lightning effect on Azrael's sword again, and I'm satisfied with the results. I probably could have gotten a little more subtle about the lightning, though.

That's all I've got for today. Stay tuned, folks,
-Jordan

2 comments:

Eric said...

Very nice man. You have definitely improved a good bit since the last time I saw some of your lads. Should look really nice on the table top.

Myles said...

Thanks, Eric, that's what I'm hoping for.