Friday, March 11, 2011

Blood Angels: Librarian and WIP Furioso Dreadnought

Hello again. Continuing on from the last post, I've got the Librarian all painted up and ready for show. I'll have to get the Honor Guard back from my friend so I can photograph them all together.






My methodology for Senior Librarian is the same as Herr Librarian. Grey primer, Mordian Blue with Ultramarines Blue highlights. I tried doing the "crackling lightning" technique on his Force Weapon, and I think it turned out quite well for a first attempt. I think it's about time for a new brush, though.

A little bit of custom green stuff work went into this model, mostly arm reposings and the book on his left shoulder pad. Other than that, he's pretty much an out-of-the-box model.

In addition to the Librarian, I've been commissioned to build and paint up a Blood Angels Furioso Dreadnought. The sprue is quite impressive with all the bits it includes. From what I can tell, the parts look as though they're designed to be interchangeable and fit very tightly. This will be a small issue once I have all the disparate parts painted and lacquered, as some paint may rub off with use.





Typically, when I do anything Blood Angels-related, I use The Army Painter's "Dragon Red" primer. This time around, because the only red parts are the plates of armor, I primed the model with Krylon Grey Primer. I then laid down a coat of Mechrite Red then Blood Red over that to bring it up to the red color on the model. The nooks and crannies were washed with Badab Black. The gold around the sarcophagus got done with a base coat of Dheneb Stone and a few layers of Shining Gold on top of it, washed down with Devlan Mud.

The only custom work I did on the model is drilling a few holes for magnets, and the only one on this part of the model is up top so I can switch out a smoke launcher for the fancy grappling hook weapon Furioso Dreadnoughts have access to. I also free-handed a Blood Chalice on the right greave.

That's it for today, folks. I'll have more updates on the Furioso as the weekend rolls on. Also, I'm headed down to Media, PA to check out the Grey Knights black box from GW. I'll be sure to take some pictures.

Have fun hobbying,
-Jordan

No comments: