Thursday, February 3, 2011

Malifaux Crew Comission: Complete!

This is a crew from a new game called "Malifaux." A friend of mine asked me to paint it up for him. I got to try out some techniques that I don't use very often (like highlighting, stippling, drybrushing, etc), and I think it turned out quite well.


Malifaux Crew

From what I've heard about Malifaux, it seems like a fun game to play with an exceptionally low barrier to entry. The crew above costs something in the way of 70$, and the models are packed with detail. The game mechanic is based on a deck of cards rather than dice, which I think gives it that certain something "else" that many other games lack. By all accounts, there was a lot of passion and creativity put into the design of the game, the miniature design makes that quite evident. The only bad thing I've heard is that the rules are in need of a once-over by a technical writer.

From a modeling/painting aspect, the only thing I can say is "ugh, metal." I hate metal models. My difficulty was mitigated this time around by recently becoming acquainted with some of the more advanced greenstuff techniques and a primer that does a bang up job on metal. Seriously, outside of colored primers, I don't think I'll ever use anything other than Krylon grey primer.

All the best,
-Jordan

2 comments:

Shadowopal said...

Fantastic job on the minis. Just for reference. The game has been around for 3 years. It's gaining in popularity due to the fabulous minis and lost cost entry point. I highly suggest everyone check it out
http://wyrd-games.net/

Myles said...

I had no idea the game was around quite that long.