Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Red Scorpions Color Scheme Test

Hello again, folks! When I checked out FROM THE WARP today, I was very surprised to find a link to my blog on the Tuesday Top 10. Needless to say, I was massively humbled to be included in what I consider to be an honor roll of talent within the Warhammer blogging community. Many, many thanks to Ryan and the rest of the crew from the FTW Blog!

Dakka-con is coming up at the end of January, and the event is taking place at Showcase Comics in Media, PA. One of the events I'm interested in is the 500 pts 40k tournament taking place on the 22nd. Forge World rules are generally frowned upon at organized events, so the Elysians will be spending the day at home. This, however, gives me an excuse to start a new project: Red Scorpions.

The list I'll be bringing to the tournament will be something along the lines of two Tactical squads, two transports (either rhinos or razorbacks, depending on how many points I've got to work with) and a land speeder to contest those objectives last minute.

Here's a photo of an Assault on Black Reach marine I painted up to test out the Red scorpions color scheme.


A Red Scorpion marine with Missile Launcher

I'm not terribly proud of this miniature, but he served his purpose. A friend of mine gave me this mini to work on, but he primed it red before-hand. It's tough to go over bright red primer, and even tougher to get into all the nooks and crannies without blotting out fine detail, especially with Krylon grey primer. I think I'll have to get some Adeptus Battlegrey foundation paint; to me the Codex Grey looks a bit too bright against the grey primer. Otherwise, I like the colors. I'll have to work on my Space Marine eye techniques, though. The Blood Red color doesn't really cover (anything) quite as well as I like, so I'll be picking up some Mechrite Red foundation paint.

Take care, all,
-Jordan

3 comments:

Drathmere said...

Just found your blog, and I love it! the grey does look a little bright, but still looks good.

Myles said...

Thank you very much. Stay tuned, I should have some more (better) photos of other (better) models coming up sometime soon.

oni said...

Hmmm... I have to agree that the grey seems a little too bright. I would try a darker foundation, something along the lines of Adeptus Battlegrey.

I might even try a 1:1 mix Adeptus Battlegrey, Chaos Black as a base and then highlight with straight Adeptus Battlegrey.