Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Laser Cut Zone Mortalis Tile, Part 2

The first coat of primer is down on the Zone Mortalis tile.  So far so good.  This time around I used Rust-Oleum "sealing" primer which should go a long way to filling in the small pores in the wood tile and leave me with a surface that's a bit better to paint and won't look like wood.

The plan is to paint the tile the grey color you see in the picture above, then drybrush a coat of white all over the tile. This will give the tile the look of concrete.  I will also be adding small patches of corrosion, probably in the form of moisture stains.

More to come,

Monday, May 25, 2015

Laser Cut Gorgon, Part 4

Finally, more progress on the Gorgon!

Now that the construction on the main body is done, I've primed the model with Rust-Oleum "sealing" primer. Given that the Gorgon is a wood product, I think this will give me a better finish than my regular Krylon gray primer, as all the little pores in the chipboard will be filled.

As mentioned in a previous Gorgon post, I'll be painting it a pretty generic grey, and the primer color is a big step in that direction.  I'll be using many of the same techniques I used on the Valkyrie from my old Death Korps Engineer army.  I'll probably also be adding more wear and tear to the vehicle than I would otherwise. The techniques featured in this Games Workshop "How To Paint" video seem like they could work really well.

More to come,

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Laser Cut Zone Mortalis Tile, Part 1

I've been captivated by the Zone Mortalis ruleset available from Forge World, but rather than paying $41 at the current GBP to USD exchange rate, I decided to make my own.

This is just a WIP shot.  Next comes mounting the four sections, each 6" square, onto a 1' by 1' by 1/4" sheet of MDF to form the tile. Then comes painting.

More to come,

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

6" Quick Measure Template

After finishing up some commission work for a client, I decided to cut myself a 6" coherency template. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get a good picture because it's transparent. This is the best I could do.

More to come, stay tuned,

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Laser Cut Gorgon, Part 3

Almost there. Almost there.  This time around, I've managed to complete the front plow.

While less straightforward than some of the other pieces, the gaps between where some of the pieces meet was large enough that I could slide pieces that were giving me trouble under other parts.

For a while I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to make the front assault ramp articulate before giving up and gluing it in place.I had originally thought about using magnets before realizing it wouldn't be worth the hassle and that I glue all of my hatches shut on my other vehicles anyway.

Rather than building up a bunch of layers of chipboard for the plow support, I made up a design in eMachineShop and cut it out of MDF.  It holds up very well, but I'll have to support it from the bottom. I plan to add components that make it look like a pneumatic or hydraulic system on the bottom of the tank.

Stay tuned for more,

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Haters Gonna Hate

There was a great image on 4chan earlier today showing someone's completed work. One of his Bood Angels had a rather familiar pose.

I don't know if you'll ever stumble upon this post, but keep up the good work, Anon.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Laser Cut Gorgon, Part 2

Sadly, I'm without the energy or time to do anything other than post a series of pictures featuring my progress on this project.  I hope to get more done during the week.

Track section base.

More details added. It kinda looks like something now!

Track links. Each one had to be made individually.
As you can imagine, this took forever.

Tracks being added tot he track block.

More work on the right track section as the left
track block is built.

Both track blocks have their tracks glued on.
The track sections are done!

A detail shot of the armor plating on the side
of the tracks.

Where the project stands so far.

More to come!